Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The coconut

Emily likes to try new things when we go to the store so last week when her eyes locked on a coconut we bought one and brought it home so we could try the fresh stuff.

We got our tools together and I started pounding.
 More than anything the kids wanted to drink the coconut water. It has to be good right? They sell it in bulk at Costco so I figured how bad could it be? I got enough of a hole that I could pour it into a cup. Taylor tried, then Rob and then Emily and they all agreed...


 ...it was gross! Now if I were on a deserted island and I needed water then I would have no problems drinking it but round these parts, where we have good ol' tap water, I think we will be leaving the coconut water to the castaways. 
I finally got it open and it was so pretty. We started digging into it to eat it and, well, living your whole life thinking that coconut comes in a bag with the words "shredded" and "sweetened" on the label doesn't really prepare you for the real thing. It wasn't for us but at least we tried.

2 comments:

NatalieJune said...

Taylor's face is priceless! Great post

Kelly said...

I never would have thought a coconut would've been gross. But like you said, at least you tried it. :) Carson's goal for this year is to try lots of new foods. He's already a pretty adventurous eater so this should be interesting.