Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Pride at its finest

We went to the Gunfighter Skies 2008 this past Sunday. We have taken the kids for four years and I love going. Just being at Mountain Home Air Force Base makes me so thankful. We have great men and women that serve our country and I would really love to have gone up to every one of them there and tell them thank you. But since there would be a great likeliness that they would throw the crazy lady out we simply walk around looking at all the planes.

Phil and Nicole were there with their kids and they had a nice spot right by the runway so we parked ourselves by them. Rich and Steph soon joined us and there we sat waiting for the show to start. In the heat. I am all about summer but this was a little much. I was sweating and I think the heat made Rob go mad because he spent $8 on two snow cones. We watched a few plane demonstrations and they were all amazing. People do things in planes that should not be possible. Even though those planes were cool, everyone there was waiting for the real stars to take to the skies.

The Thunderbirds.

What is it about those red, white and blue jets that makes me so proud? Why is it that they take off and my chest swells? The Lord has given us such a great country and every time I see those jets I am reminded of that once again.

So they finally head to their planes and, yes, it is a huge ordeal. From the time they start out there to the time they take off is about 20-30 minutes. But so worth it. As soon as they take off and you hear the roar of those engines all the waiting pays off.












There are four that stay together most of the time, and two solo pilots. One solo pilot is a woman.
And guess which one.
Yep...the one that's upside down. Doesn't that make it so much cooler?



I love this picture. I just happened to look around and saw everyone around me trying to block the sun.
We ended up having a great day. We got to see some cool aerial acrobatics, a really cool old WWII jet that was flown in the Doolittle raid, (If you saw Pearl Harbor you understand more), and we got buzzed by a jet. I think everyone there wet themselves a little. Now I know why Maverick got in so much trouble.(pardon the language at the end)

8 comments:

Rich Smith said...

nice pics jen. It was a little hot but alot of fun. Just wish we could of been out there longer. Rykon really ate it up.

Jen said...

Looks like fun! We used to go to the air show around here and I actually did love it. I haven't been to one in awhile. Great pictures!

Alisha Beverly said...

Those pictures are awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Matt said...

You guys are soooooo lucky. I really haven't seen a good air show in a really long time. Those pilots are the best of the best; everything is done to an exact precision. Next time I am in BOI I will have to take you flying, precision is not the easiest thing to do.

sara b said...

I saw a sign for that I think earlier this summer and thought it would be fun to take the kids. I loved going when I was little. Thanks for the video from Top Gun, gotta love that movie!!!

Anonymous said...

Very cool! I would love to go someday. Great pictures.

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to go to that. I bet my kids would love it.

SPARKY said...

hey!!! great pics. dang it. i gotta get a better camera. most of my shots are the tail or nose of the planes...