Tuesday, April 15, 2008

this is going to be long. very long.

We have been keeping ourselves busy since my last post. Let me fill you in.

Rob got home from the East Coast on Thursday night so he took Friday off so we could spend the day together. We were supposed to go skiing with Rich and Steph but they had to back out so it was just the two of us. Rob is a crazy skier but I manage to keep up, or maybe I should say he takes it slow, so we can ski together. It was a gorgeous day and we had done a few runs. We got to the top of a run and Rob started going through the powder.


I look like a retarded monkey when I ski in the powder but I thought I would give it a try. There was a lot of squealing on my part but we made it down the mountain and it was really fun so we decided to do it again. We were about halfway down when something went wrong. Rob was ahead of me so he couldn't say but one minute I was going down the mountain and the next my arms were flying all over and before I knew it I was on my back. Let me paint the picture. I was going down the mountain like a normal person and when I landed I was on my back with my head going down hill. My left ski was sticking straight up out of the snow but was buried up to my boot so I couldn't move it and my right ski was...i don't know...not with me. It was a little ways up hill from where I was. I am laying there and I am laughing hysterically. Rob asked me if I was OK and I told him I thought I hurt something. I was trying to move but I couldn't so he came and tried to put me back together. When I finally got my ski out of the snow and was able to stand up my right leg was hurting. Not enough to go get help but I could tell I had done something. Through the whole process I was still laughing. Hard. Almost crying. You see I laugh when I get hurt. Don't know why. I just do. Which means I usually laugh when others get hurt too so don't be offended if you a take a tumble and I split a gut. Anyway, I pulled myself together and I asked Rob if he thought I was hurt when I fell. He said yes. I said did you think I was crying? "No". Did you think I was laughing? "I knew you were laughing". He knows me too well. We started down the hill again and I get about 20 feet and my left ski comes off and I fall flat on my face. Apparently it had come loose but hadn't fallen all the way off when I fell. Of course I laid there laughing. Again. I can only imagine how I looked. Flailing all over like a retarded monkey. See? That's why I don't do powder. My leg was bothering me a little so we decided we'd had enough and headed home.

Saturday was a lazy day. Taylor had a soccer game at 2. Right in the middle of the day. Thankfully it's his only one like that. All others are at 9 or 10. He made another goal this week. He is loving soccer and he's been such a good sport. I don't think I did anything all day besides get a sunburn, pull out capris for the first time this year and watch a movie. Gotta love Saturdays.

Sunday Rich and Steph went with us to Thousand Springs. However it didn't turn out exactly as planned. Rob told them we were going out by Mountain Home to run the dogs. What he failed to mention was that Thousand Springs is located in Hagerman, a mere 65 miles passed Mountain Home. We also failed to take a map with us. We went once before but it has been at least 3 years and we didn't remember exactly how to get there so we were winging it. And not doing a very good job. After getting off at two wrong exits, stopping twice to ask for directions and driving a good two hours we still didn't make it to the right place. We made it to Thousand Springs Hydro Project. The scenery was as pretty as it sounds. When we were finally able to get out of the car and walk around it was OK. There was one spring and plenty of room for the kids and dogs to run so it turned out to be a nice day. And it was another beautiful one so we couldn't complain.

Last night I had Bunko. Only one more to go before our summer break. And guess what?! I won. A whole $30. It was the first time I have won all year. I was so happy. Skye, Steph and I carpooled together. It seems that every time I am with those girls I learn something new about them. Don't worry girls, I will go to my grave with all your secrets.
We also have some bittersweet news to share. After much thinking and much praying we have decided to step down from youth staff. It has been our love and passion for seven years but we feel like God has been calling us away for some time now. We still have a passion for youth and I will be helping Keith as he needs me so we will still be around just not as visible as now.
I also wanted to write down a couple things Em said this weekend that were cracking me up.
#1-We were at Sonic after school Thursday and she was siting in the front eating with me. She looked around and said "where does the parachute come out?".
#2-I have a boy in my class. His name is Johnafin.


andrea said...

Wow, you guys have been busy! I had to laugh at your retarted monkey story. Too funny! Sounds like your Sunday drive was interesting. Glad to see you made the most of it though. That picture of Emily and Rykon walking is adorable!

Welcome to youth volunteerhood. It sure is bitter sweet stepping down from such a great ministry, isn't it? Wish you the best in your new ventures at church :)

Dionna said...

So - how's your leg? Kudos to you for being brave and trying...

Kelly said...

You had me laughing out loud with the retarded monkey story! Is your leg okay now?
Good for you on following God's prompting. It's hard to leave but you know He has something even better waiting.

jen k said...

Sounds like you've had a lot going on. Hope your leg is fine! I had to laugh at your story.....I am a visual person. :)

Alisha Beverly said...

Wow! What an adventure! I've been to Thousand Springs before. Not when they were running real well but even then it was pretty cool. I remember them being hard to find, so don't feel bad! You're not the only ones!

Hows your leg doing? I hope better!

sara b said...

Your story made me laugh too. Must have been fun watching you go down, HA! Busy, busy, busy. Are you looking forward to summer yet?

Kim said...

He is adorable. I love that last photo. Thanks for stopping by my blog.